Hedgehog is an open source software company dedicated to giving Cloud Native application owners the ability to deploy workloads on edge compute and distributed cloud infrastructure with the same procurement power and automated operations that power the public cloud. Hedgehog helps customers escape vendor lock, automate mass-scale infrastructure operations, and reduce their cost of service. Hedgehog is a member of the Open Compute Project, The Linux Foundation, and the SONiC community.
This is a dream job for a super-deep networking nerd who’s into open networking. If you’re passionate about networking and know routing protocols like BGP or have experience dealing with network control or data planes, this job is for you.
Help us build an Open Network Operating system that people can trust and consume easily. Add control, management, and data plane functionality, fix bugs, and improve/enhance SONiC Open Network Operating System and open source routing stack (FRR) software. Work with the Open Source Community, our support organization, and customers to improve user experience and stability of the platform and the features, product issues, and defect detection, identification, and resolution. Contribute to the implementation of fully automated test and certification labs. Help develop extensive automated test cases for our software factory system.
The ideal candidate is an experienced software engineer with deep expertise in networking and hardcore real-time and distributed systems programming.
Languages, frameworks, and tools
- Experience in programming in at least one of the following languages: C, C++, Rust, or Go.
- Experience with scripting languages like Python is a huge plus.
- Working knowledge of Terraform, Pulumi or Ansible is a plus
- Working knowledge of tools like Git, Jira, Jenkins
- Working knowledge of testing frameworks is a plus.
Network technology experience requirements (3 or more of the below):
- Familiarity with open network operating systems, s.a. SONiC, DENT, Cumulus Linux, Switchdev, Vyatta, etc.
- Familiarity with open routing stacks, s.a. FRR (previously Quagga, Zebra), Bird, KubeRouter, ExaBGP, FreeRouter, XORP …
- Strong competence and expert-level hands-on knowledge of routing protocols, s.a. BGP, OSPF, ISIS, RIP, …
- Working knowledge of Layer 2 technologies s.a VLAN, STP, QinQ, TRILL, LLDP, LAG, MCLAG, LACP, ESI, Multicast
- Hands-on experience and familiarity with overlays s.a. Geneve, VXLAN
- Hands-on experience and familiarity with BGP-based underlays.
- Hands-on experience and familiarity with BGP EVPN
- Hands-on experience with P4, OpenFlow, OpenConfig
- Experience with network data planes.
- Hands-on experience with Linux networking (including iptables/nftables, tc, dpdk, ovs).
- Hands-on experience with eBPF.
Network test tools experience requirements (1 or more of the below):
- Use Keysight, IXIA, Spirent, and other traffic generators to characterize the scale and performance.
- Experience with SFLOW, NETFLOW tools, and other network monitoring tools.
- Strong skills in packet decoding, reading pcap files, and analyzing sniffer traces.
Cloud(-native) networking technology experience (a huge plus):
- Hands-on familiarity with Kubernetes networking (Calico, Cilium, etc. CNIs)
- Hands-on familiarity with Service Mesh and API Gateways
- Hands-on familiarity with OpenStack networking (ML2, Neutron)
- Hands-on experience with Wireguard, MetalLB, Traefik, Envoy, etc.
- Proven experience with cloud, data center, or edge networking products
- Proven experience with debugging customer issues and locally recreating them in the lab
- Strong solution-level exposure to enterprise deployments
- Experience qualifying high-volume, scalable enterprise software
- World class team
- Great culture
- Engaging and interesting engineering problems
- Competitive salary
- Startup equity
- Health Insurance (Medical, Dental, Vision)
- Unlimited time off
- Work from home
- Laptop, IT equipment
All for one and one for all! When you join Hedgehog you join a high performance team. We are a community of friends who enjoy working together. We try really hard to understand each others values and discern whether our values are compatible. If they are, we treat each other with the love and respect we would treat a friend.
We need to know you can get the job. We need to know you have our backs. We trust that we can make each other successful. If we can’t trust each other, we can’t succeed.
Transparency builds trust. We always strive to be as transparent, open and honest as possible. We aren’t passive aggressive, opaque or two-faced. We say what we mean and we mean what we say. That doesn’t mean that we are blunt, rude, or aggressive. It means that we are open with ourselves, our teammates, our partners and our customers. We’re in the business of open-source software after all. We should walk the walk when we talk the talk.
Politics suck. Favoritism sucks even more. Be a good human. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Kick ass and you will be rewarded. Fail and we will help you succeed. Loose trust and we will let you know you need to have our backs.
We take risk to join a community like Hedgehog because we want to build, market, sell and support a really great product that delivers incredible value for customers. We are in the tech business because we love the creative destruction of innovation. We love to disrupt the status quo, and we love to make people happy when they use our stuff.
Work should be fun. A lot of fun. We all want to love what we do. Life is short. It’s too short to not have fun doing what we do at least five days a week. Work can be hard at times, but we put in the effort because we feel satisfied with the results we achieve and the relationships we build. When we consistently feel that work is not fun, we introspect to understand why so we can get back to having fun again.
As much as we want to make Hedgehog a family, we all obviously have actual families outside of work. Family comes first. If you need time, space or support to take care of your family and yourself, we go out of our way to give you what you need.